Hello again, twitterverse!
Last year, I had challenged myself to read all the tweets coming out of Alaska and it was an incredible experience for me to really see all the innovative ideas and creative minds that we had all over the state.
So, how do you top a year reading all the tweets? By not reading any! Unplugged (Like this year’s ASTE theme)
It’s not quite a year off of twitter, but I had to compile a list of all the things that I missed out on because I wasn’t on twitter (and hopefully this will inspire those of you who are not yet on!)
1) I missed my PLC and I’m guessing some missed me too since I got quite a few messages. I don’t know what anyone was up to this year or where our new twitter educators are, so no new AK twitter map this year. I really feel like I've missed out on a lot of things and this was such a secret knowledge base that I always loved pulling out in conversations "I heard a teacher in ____ was doing ___"
2) I missed out on real-time happenings like the Earthquake. Let me tell you, the TV news cycle and Facebook is not as fast as the live twitter commentary. I have missed going into a day knowing what the trending topics to listen out for.
3) I know I also missed out on cool local and statewide news stories. It is so much easier to scroll my one twitter list of AK News rather than checking each individual webpage of ADN, Juneau Empire, KTOO, KTUU, KINY, KTVA, AK Public Media, Webcenter11, ArcticSounder…
4) I have missed out on the latest trends. What is the latest and greatest tools? I know Kahoot, Seesaw, Flipgrid, and padlet got some new updates but there must be something that came out since I have been off and I can’t wait to learn what that was.
5) I missed having the echo chamber of positivity. There has been a lot of stressful news and what I love about education twitter is the focus on the positive: the gifts, the pictures, the stories... I really missed having that constant reminder of why I fell love with education in the first place.
Going forward, I'm not sure what twitter is going to be like for me. Next year, I will try to find a happy medium between being on all the time and not being on at all. But I look forward to reconnecting to all of you!